© SHADES TOURS
Discover another side of Vienna and go on a tour guided by a homeless person! Discover the multiple shades of homelessness: the challenges, social services and stories of living and surviving on the street.
Bored of historical tours? Want to discover something new? Go on this unforgettable tour that will you show another side of living in a city!
This authentic, professional and insightful tour will submerge you into a mostly hidden and unseen world. During this 2-hour tour your guide will provide you with a mix of facts and personal stories that illustrate the complexity of homelessness. Those tours are guided in English or in German - depending on the date you choose.
You will meet your guide at the main train station Hauptbahnhof. After a brief check-in round, your guide will introduce you to the topic of homelessness. What challenges do homeless people face? How does the Viennese social system work? How do social institutions help? The tour will end in the park Schweizer Garten next to the station Quartier Belvedere.
This tour will:
• Provide you with an unusual, insightful, informative and emotional experience
• Make you discover a different side of Vienna and provide you with insights into an unseen world, far away from the typical tourist path
• Help you understand the complexity of homelessness and inform you about how the local social system works
• Make a difference for you and your guide
• An estimated 10,000 inhabitants of Vienna are considered to live in a vulnerable situation, of which 2,000 live on the street.
• These tours give the guides—homeless people themselves—an opportunity to reintegrate into society. In addition to providing you with an insightful experience, they can earn an income, gain motivation and self-esteem to help them on their way out of homelessness and poverty.
• This social business was founded in 2015. Since then it has received national and international recognition. It cooperates with the city council and different social institutions, in its aim to achieve a positive social impact.